Thursday, March 29, 2012

One Particular Moment

Last week I was consecrated the Episcopal bishop of Central Florida.  In the midst of wonderful celebrations and glorious worship one particular moment stands out- a symbol of both the posture of the office and all Christian's posture before God:  prostration.

When the time for the actual prayers of ordination and consecration came,  I prostrated myself on a prayer rug.  The rug was a gift of the Anglican bishop of Iran, woven by Christians in Pakistan.  The largest symbol on the rug is the figure of the Lamb slain.  The rug itself was a symbol of  Christians valiant under persecution and strong in prayer; and where was I?  I was  prostrate before God and supported both by their prayers and the courage of their witness.  It was a holy moment where I knew I was upheld by the Spirit of God.  It was because of that moment (and all that had brought me there) that I knew I could, in good conscience, kneel before the bishops gathered and receive the laying on of hands for ordination.  

I am so keenly conscience that I can do nothing for God unless I am empowered by God's Spirit to do so. Left to my own devices I may keep myself busy with ecclesiastical responsibilities, but that does not mean I am doing anything for the Kingdom of God.  Only works "begun, continued and ended in Thee" bear any fruit for the Kingdom.

But for me to bear any fruit for the Kingdom, I need the fuel of other's prayers.  To put it bluntly, I am desperate for the supernatural support of intercession.  The rug symbolized those prayers- coming from those that the world counts as the least of these,  yet they are mighty in faith and I know that they are in prayer for people like me.   It is because of these prayers and the prayers of many others that I am sustained.

It is because of these prayers that I, too, pray for others and have committed my life to a life that centers around the twin peaks of intercession and action.   Intercssion without action is pietism.  Action without intercession is carnality.  But intercession and action woven together can, by God's grace, bear the fruit of a life strengthened and guided by the mercy of God.


2 comments:

  1. When I speak with a person faced with clergy troubles the first thing I ask them is if they are saying their Ember prayers. Many are confused as they do not follow the Daily Office. I take this opportunity to tell them that their clergy cannot do this on their own and it is their job as a parishoner to keep them lifted up in prayer (and commit to the Daily Office).

    If you want the perfect priest, then pray for the one you were given.

    Naturally this concept continues to our bishops.

    You are prayed for on a daily basis, not just Wednesday, Friday and Saturdays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I observed your ordination and consecration from a different perspective -- from above and behind, with the choir. Singing in the choir was a remarkable, wonderful experience, but one misses a lot, seeing an event only from the back. When the prayer rug was being laid down, I had no idea what it was, and this unworthy thought crossed my mind: "What, because he's a bishop he gets the red carpet treatment?"

    Later, watching the YouTube videos, I saw what really happened on that carpet, and was blown away.

    ReplyDelete